Friday, November 5, 2010

Remember, remember the fifth of November.

Dear Blog,

So apparently you're supposed to do as much social networking as possible even before you're somebody. I'm not really sure who wants to read a blog written by a nobody, but if I must then I shall.

As of today I have 3.5 manuscripts written, give or take a chapter. I just finished going through the first 3 with different colored pens for editing. I think book 1 is as strong as I can make it without professional help. I got through a third draft of book 2 and a second draft of book 3. I'm almost finished reading through the pages I have done on book 4. I was happily surprised this morning to find out that I had only printed 180 pages of 213 pages. That's 1.5 more chapters done than I thought I had. Once I finish reading these 33 pages I'll try to get back into the right head space to start again. Sadly I set this book down in the middle of June to go back to the much needed proof reading of the first 3 manuscripts. I just hope, with the help of the right music, I can find the voice of this story again.

I woke up this morning to yet another rejection, which brings the count up to 17. Now I know that's not nearly as many as "they" say to expect. But damn, every day I get one, it just sucks. On Oct 4th I got three, that was a bad day. Even though one of the agents liked my sense of humor in the letter. My husband, John, likes to say "That's just one more closer to a yes!" Days like those, I let him be the positive one.

Well today is the Fifth of November, and although its supposed to be to remember what people were willing to do in the face of oppression by their government, I'm going to try to remember what I'm fighting for. I want to quit my day job. I want to be published. I want to go to a book signing and see people there excited to meet me. I want my books to be important to someone, even if it was just a "fun read" for them and they got to escape the doldrums of life. Because that's why books are important to me. Life is so much more ordinary than any of us expected it to be, books let you get away from it even if just for a little while.

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot;
I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment