Thursday, October 25, 2012

Covers: Before and After

You would be amazed how many people ask me if I am the cover model on my books (well, except for Fire that is!). Every time someone asks me, I blush a little, laugh a little and shake my head vigorously. I definitely don't see the resemblance to any of my models, though I am flattered by the very idea.

So I thought you all might like to see what the evolution of my covers has been. I know it blows my mind every time I think about it. I've been very lucky to work with two awesome cover artists, who have given me actual pieces of artwork for my covers.

For my first cover, Earth, I worked with the amazing Claudia McKinney of Phatpuppy Art. Here is the original picture she started with an what we ended up with:



I never saw what the original picture looked like, Claudia just sent me the finished product, but I gotta say, I am so impressed with what she did.

Then I started working with Stephanie Mooney of Mooney Designs. Like me, she was new to the publishing world and I wanted to give her a chance, and I am so glad I did. Now Stephanie does all of my covers!

The first cover she did for me was Air. With Stephanie I was in on each step, helping pick out the models and the backgrounds. I will say, when Stephanie first sent me the mock-ups, I was a little apprehensive. I had no idea how she was going to make this look as awesome as my cover of Earth, but I shouldn't have worried.






I still have no idea how she did this. Isn't it incredible? (And yes, I picked out a different background than what is in the mock up, in case you're wondering.)

Obviously the next cover was Water. This is probably the most complicated cover of the whole batch and most of my readers' favorite. I can't say I blame them. You'll be amazed at what Stephanie did. And to be honest with you, when she picked out the cover model, told me it was the best for her to work with, I had my doubts. I actually hated the pick of the model, but again, I shouldn't have been worried!







I have NO IDEA how she did that.

Finally we're up to Fire. I love what Stephanie did for this one. Stephanie is a pretty busy girl and hasn't read my books, so when I describe characters to her, she just has to go off of my quick comments in an email. This time she used two male models to make the gorgeous Steven we see on the cover. She didn't send me the two pics, I just happened to see them after I approved the mock up. Dude. Again, flabbergasted. I would have NEVER approved the dude who is the body model, his face is just... well. And the guy who is his face? It's kind of a sexy pic so I would've just move right on by it, not giving it another glance. So glad I'm not the one doing my covers!

































So there you have it! Kind of amazing right? It is so much fun for me to watch the evolution of my covers. And I canNOT wait to see what Stephanie comes up with for Spirit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment