Thursday, January 17, 2013

Reader Questions Part 2

Do you plan to write more in the series? What about other books?

I can’t imagine not writing at any point in my life. I love writing; it’s what I was meant to do. Last week I wrote over 21,000 words and told myself I was going to take the weekend off to recuperate. Reasonable, right? Yeah, by Saturday evening I felt so guilty for not writing all day and Sunday was a huge struggle. I’m a writer because I have to write. I also have the same problem a lot of other writers have, in that, while I’m working on one project ideas for others blossom in my mind, demanding attention. So yes, there will be many other books in my future, I hope you’ll stick with me on these new adventures.

Right now my editor has Spirit in her hot little hands and is ripping it apart as we speak (read). So, while I’m waiting for her edits I am working on a whole new story, totally separate from the Elemental world. I don’t have a title yet, but it is my first NaNoWriMo novel, though it is definitely longer than 50,000 words so I did not finish it in November. This particular book is actually an Adult book – I needed a break from the Young Adult world. It is still Fantasy though because I love working with fantastical creatures and magic and awesomeness. I haven’t yet decided if this will be self-published like the Elemental Series was or if I will attempt to send it down the traditional route. We’ll see when it’s done.

As for The Elemental Series, will I ever write more in that world? I had always, always planned on this series being a five book series. As soon as the idea to write about the elements coalesced in my mind, I knew it would be five installments, though I had no idea the story would take the turn it did. Now that Shay’s true self has been revealed, I suppose the old adage, “never say never” is rather appropriate now. I’m not making any promises, mind you, but I will say, Shay has not stopped talking to me. I kind of expected her to, but she’s still in there, in the back of my mind, kicking around.

But I do think I need a little distance from Shay and her cohorts. They need some time to grow into their new roles and time to heal. In the meantime I’ll finish the story I’m working on and start another. Yep, already have an idea for the next book I want to write. After this adult Fantasy I think I’m going to try my hand at a Dystopian (end of the world) book. The other day, while working through some plot issues on the current work in progress, a new character appeared, fully formed, in my mind and the opening narrative of her story was just suddenly there, waiting for me to snatch out of the air.

So yeah. I’ll definitely keep writing, no question about that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment